A Global leader in Education, Research and Health care for nearly 10 decades..
November 13th 1916 was a defining moment that changed the course of history when “Seven Dedicated Teachers or Saptharishis” founded an Anglo Vernacular school in Belagavi. The seven Saptharishis, Shri S S Basavanal, Shri M R Sakhare, Shri H F Kattimani, Shri B B Mamadapur, Shri B S Hanchinal, Shri P R Chikodi and Shri V V Patil initially aimed at providing basic literacy to the children of the farming community, yet their historic feat was destined to grow into an amazing educational organization of 250 institutions today.
With the need for higher education becoming absolutely necessary, the monumental Lingaraj College was started at Belagavi in keeping with the vision of the founding fathers of KLE that it would reach out to many more underserved regions.
Under the successive leaderships of the society , the Raja Lakhamagowda Science Institute was inaugurated at the brilliant hands of the Nobel Laureate, Sir C V Raman.
The year of India’s Independence witnessed the inauguration of two more colleges, J G College of Commerce at Hubballi and B V Bhoomaraddi College Of Engineering at Hubballi as well. The latter emerged as the aspirations of Independent India for professional education were thought of.
A most significant landmark unfolded in 1963 when Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belagavi was started. This marked the beginning of an illustrious new era that has changed the complexion of health sciences education in India. JNMC today showcases not only KLE’s extraordinary commitment to excel in medical education but also draws global attention for its outstanding contribution to research and health care.
The destiny of an institution unfolds according to the choices an institution makes in its leadership and such a choice was made by the institution in the elevation of Dr Prabhakar Kore to the Chairmanship of the Board of Management of KLE in 1984. With his indomitable spirit and youthfulness, Dr Kore initiated a great transformation in the making of a new KLE and not only catapulted the institutions of KLE from 38 to 250, but has also created a road map for the next generation to travel in.
Rao Bahadur Rudragouda Chanagouda Artal (1851- 1932)
Born on 22nd March 1851, he went on to complete his education from Dharwad and Mumbai. Conferred with the prestigious title of Rao Bahadur by the British,his inclination towards welfare of Lingayat community at large was the prime inspiration in his founding role at the KLES in 1916. He also served as its first president from 1916-1928. The first school named after him stands a testimony to the immense sacrifice and service made by him towards the steady growth of the society since its inception.
Veerabhadrappa Gunappa Naik was born in Chachadi, a princely state in Saundatti taluka. His fluency and deft with English language as well as the yeoman services for the British raj during world war I earned him the coveted title of Rao Bahadur and the prestigious post of honorary magistrate. His dedicated service to the KLES as a founder member and Vice President are greatly acknowledged and remembered till date.
Rao Bahadur V G Naik-Chachadi (1882-1969)
Rao Bahadur Vaijappa Anigol (1877- 1946)
Born in an affluent family in 1877 at Anigol, he pursued his primary education and took up the cause of upliftment of his village residents. His notable services during World War I towards recruitment of soldiers for the British army earned him the coveted titles of Rao Bahadur and Rao Saheb in 1942. He was one of the main philanthropists involved with starting of KLES. His contributions towards the smooth functioning of the society are immense and commendable.
Prof. M R Sakhare (1892-1951)
Born in the year 1892 at Rajagoli in Hukkeri taluka, he finished his school education in Belgaum and Kolhapur. He achieved first class honors in BA (1914) and MA(1916).His zest and thirst for education motivated him in playing a key role in commencement of the first anglo vernacular school in 1916.He served as the first principal of GA high school and the secretary of the KLES from 1928-1935. He was the pioneer of fund raising for the society. Lindharn Chandrike is a wonderful literary work by him.
Born at Haveri in 1893, he completed his matriculation and went on to finish his MA with first class honors from Deccan College, Pune in 1916. He donned the roles of a teacher, Head master, Professor, founder life member and secretary in his wonderful and illustrious association with the KLES panning over a period of 35 years. He was the chief editor of two kannada weekly publications Jaya Karnataka and Prabodha. He also chaired the Akhil Bharatiya Kannada Sahitya Sammelana in 1944.
Prof. S S Basavnal (1893-1951)
Shri. B B Mamdapur (1891-1973)
Born in a destitute family of Mamdapur village in Gokak taluka he overcame all the hurdles and challenges to successfully complete his MA from Deccan College Pune in 1916.He was very closely and actively associated with the inception and growth of the KLES. He served as the society secretary from 1926-27. He had an equally commendable achievement outside the society domain and served as a senate member of the prestigious Bombay University from 1938-43 and a member of the Legislative council Mysore from 1958-63. His contribution was instrumental in setting up the Lingraj College. He was a very humble soul despite reaching such zeniths against all odds.
Born in 1887 in Dharwad he finished his education in Kolhapur and Deccan College, Pune. He had an insatiable desire to spread the light of education which pulled him to the founding team of the KLES. He maintained the account books of the KLES at the time of inception and served in the capacity as teacher, life member and secretary. He played a key role in the commencement of the prestigious BVB college of Engineering and P C Jabin Science College, Hubli and the S Nijalingappa College, Bangalore. He was conferred with an honorary doctorate by the Karnataka University Dharwad where he also was a senate member.
Dr.H F Kattimani (1887-1976)
Prof. B S Hanchinal (1889-1964)
Born to a elite family of Hubli in 1889 he went on to complete his graduation from the Deccan College, Pune and joined the KLES anglo-vernacular school as a teacher. Fondly known as ‘Cotton King’ he sincerely and untiringly served the noble cause taken up by the KLES as a teacher and life member. He had a lion’s share in starting the teachers training college, Belgaum. He was also a key member of the L.E association and Vidyavardhak Sangha Dharwad. A talented bright teacher and educationist, he was equally good at the sport of tennis.
Born in 1884 at Rabkavi he finished his primary education in Hubli-Dharwad and went on to complete his higher education from Fergusson College, Pune. He left his law course midway and returned to Belgaum to join and conceive the establishment of the KLES where he served as a teacher and life member. His love for public life saw him serve as member of Bombay Legislative Council for 14 years and played a very active role in the co-operative movement in Karnataka. He was conferred with Member of British Empire honor. He also left an indelible literary mark as an editor of the Kannada weekly ‘Prabhakar’.
Prof. P R Chikodi (1884-1961)
Sardar V V Patil (1888-1979)
Born in 1888 at Kachari village in Hirekerur taluka he finished his primary education in Dharwad and went on to pursue his agricultural studies in Pune. During this tenure he was influeneced by the freedom struggle and eminent freedom fighters such as Lokmanya Tilak and Mahatma Gandhi. He returned to Belgaum to join hands in the founding of the KLES and was chosen its first secretary. He gave up his life membership in 1931 and relocated himself to Hubli. He was conferred with the prestigious Padmashree award in 1951 and the State Government Award in 1966.
Sign Up Newsletter
Make sure you don’t miss interesting happenings
by joining our newsletter program.
Karnatak Lingayat Education Society,
Tyagaveer Sirasangi Lingaraj College Road, Belagavi-590001, Karnataka
Tel: +918312404040, +918312404555
KLE Society © 2023 Powered by – Squadway Technologies